Payment Specialist - Life & Disability Services
Permanent Full Time
March 14, 2022
May 31, 2022
Permanent – Full Time – Work From Home
Let’s impact lives for the better!
Alberta Blue Cross® is an Alberta based organization dedicated to delivering exceptional customer experience and community leadership. We’re committed to providing the best health coverage to over 1.8 million members and take an active role in promoting wellness. We believe in what we do—and place trust in our employees to deliver our vision.
Working at Alberta Blue Cross® means having a career where you’ll be recognized for your contributions. We value diversity, encourage our employees to maintain a healthy work-life balance and provide opportunities for career growth.
The Payment Specialist is primarily responsible for calculating and processing Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability and Life payments based on the terms of the contract, including the application of appropriate adjustments such as CPP, offsets for other earnings, and interest adjustments. The Payment Specialist is responsible for ensuring that Life and Disability payments have been assessed, approved and documented by the authorized Case Manager or other approver prior to the release of payments. Payment processing includes lump sum payments, recurring disability payments and updates to these payments. In addition, the Payment Specialist is responsible for managing overpayments and other financial reporting and financial balancing duties within the department.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Prioritize and maintain workload to meet turnaround standards and ensure a positive customer experience.
- Maintain high level of accuracy in calculation and management of benefit payments.
- Manage sensitive, and confidential customer information, maintaining confidentiality of this information.
Payment Calculation & Processing:
- Validate that the appropriate internal approval limits are documented on the claim.
- Verify accuracy of pre-disability salary amounts.
- Obtain and process appropriate direct deposit information for Disability claim payments.
- Accurately document, calculate and process lump sum and ongoing benefit payments based on the approval dates provided by an authorized Case Manager, including adjusting for any offsets or interest payments that may apply.
- Proactively update monthly disability payments for benefit payment that extend beyond six months to ensure that approved payments are not interrupted due to delays in these updates.
- Accurately process and release Life Claim cheque payments.
- Communicate payment amount changes as appropriate to claimant and plan sponsor/broker.
Other Payment Management Duties:
- Track and manage overpayment of benefits including:
o Manage communication with claimant with respect to overpayment settlements, escalating issues as appropriate
o Follow up on outstanding accounts as necessary.
o Apply voids, adjustments or overpayment amounts.
o Forward incoming funds to our Accounting department.
- Assist with balancing monthly discrepancies as identified by Blue Cross Life.
- Assist with balancing yearend financial information for the production of the T4A’s.
- Prepare and complete the T4 and T4A process at year end.
- Implementing COLA and tax adjustments at year end.
- Act a designated contact between Alberta Blue Cross® and Service Canada for Canada Pension Plan Disability Benefits.
WHAT YOU WILL HAVE:
- Completion of a post secondary diploma or certificate program in a related field which may include payroll or disability payment calculation, and a minimum of 2 years relevant work experience.
- Proven ability to use technology tools and to easily learn new software applications to enhance productivity, proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet search tools.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrates commitment and passion to excel in the delivery of a superior customer experience.
- Possesses a high level of personal accountability and professionalism.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, listening and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates ability to deal effectively with the public, peers, coworkers and in a team environment.
- Possesses strong organizational, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Demonstrates ability to manage changing priorities, maintain confidentiality, work independently with minimal supervision and meet deadlines.
Blue Cross® is an inclusive employer committed to a
workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We empower
and are advocates for our employees by welcoming, respecting and valuing their
unique perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and the opportunity to work in an innovative, high-energy team-focused environment. This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected. If you have the qualifications we are looking for, apply online at careers.ab.bluecross.ca
COVID-19 Vaccination Notice: Alberta Blue Cross has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that applies to all of its employees. As a condition of employment, successful job applicants will be asked to confirm their COVID-19 vaccination status and may be required to provide proof of a valid negative COVID-19 test or a valid exemption pursuant to applicable human rights law if not fully vaccinated.
Join our team
March 14, 2022
Let’s impact lives for the better!
Alberta Blue Cross® is Alberta based, not-for-profit and dedicated to delivering exceptional customer experience and community leadership. We’re committed to providing the best health coverage to over 1.8 million members and take an active role in promoting the wellness of all Albertans. We believe in what we do—and place trust in our employees to deliver our vision.
Working at Alberta Blue Cross® means having a career where you’ll be recognized for your contributions. We value diversity, encourage our employees to maintain a healthy work-life balance and provide opportunities for training and career growth.